WEST SIDE | A doughnut shop's journey ... to Thailand | News
ATLANTA -- One of Atlanta's most renowned doughnut shops is opening a new location, but not where you might expect.
Four years ago, Sublime Doughnuts opened in midtown Atlanta and instantly rose to the top of almost every "Best Doughnut" list in the city. This past Sunday, owner Kamal Grant Tweeted a picture, saying, "The next chapter of Sublime Doughnuts is about to begin in Bangkok."
He wasn't kidding.
We reached out to Grant in Bangkok, and he told us how it happened. Grant says he was contacted about a year ago by a Thai entrepreneur looking to open a doughnut shop and base it off the best doughnut in America. The businessman made a short list of renowned U-S doughnut makers; Sublime was on it.
When the businessman tried the doughnut, he made up his mind: Sublime was what he wanted.
"I'm hope they get really excited about it in Bangkok," said Grant, "and I hope he gets as many customers, love, and support as we get from the city of Atlanta."
He added, "If it wasn't for Atlanta, we wouldn't be here in Bangkok."
And that's the story of how Sublime Doughnuts now has two locations, which are 9,000 miles apart.
Upcoming Events near West Side
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hunger Walk marks 30th anniversary Sunday
- Blank, MLS Commissioner welcome Atlanta's appetite for soccer
- Center for Puppetry Arts to Display Iconic Mask and Puppets Featured in Disney’s THE LION KING
- Heros4Heros Fun Run and Healthy Heroes Festival
- Fulton County Workforce Development Offers Employment Assistance to 16 – 21 Year Olds