Busy Howell Mill Road closed again on Monday | News
ATLANTA -- Repairs continue today on Howell Mill Road in West Midtown. A stretch of the busy route between 14th Street and Huff Road will be closed to traffic from 8AM-5PM.
Crews will be out removing a series of steel plates installed last Wednesday after a sinking pavement forced officials to close the road for the entire day.
Authorities reopened the road Wednesday night with a temporary repair to accommodate weekend shopping traffic.
Details of what caused the 3-5 inch depression in the pavement is still under investigation.
11/21/12 -- A day after sinking asphalt near a railroad bridge forced officials to close a stretch of Howell Mill Road in northwest Atlanta, the roadway is being reopened.
City officials said repairs on the roadway would likely force some partial lane closures on Monday, but that the roadway was safe for traffic.
Tuesday evening, engineers shut down the road over the tracks after it was noticed that asphalt was sinking near the southern approach to the bridge.
Businesses in the area, including the Westside Provisions District, are expected to remain open during any construction or lane closures.
Upcoming Events near West Side
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Blank, MLS Commissioner welcome Atlanta's appetite for soccer
- Center for Puppetry Arts to Display Iconic Mask and Puppets Featured in Disney’s THE LION KING
- Heros4Heros Fun Run and Healthy Heroes Festival
- Fulton County Workforce Development Offers Employment Assistance to 16 – 21 Year Olds
- Publix Georgia Marathon & Half Marathon Will Attract Thousands to Atlanta for Eighth Annual Running